Police from the Queens Narcotics Squad together with the 104th Precinct Narcotics team raided a Middle Village house on November 9th and found what was described as a house of horrors. According to Captain Matthew Hyland of Queens Narcotics, four people at 84-35 Penelope Avenue were arrested. Owner Nikolic Zoren, 36; John Guyear, 27, a tenant; Jackie Rodriguez, 26, a resident of New Jersey; and Tess Givons, a tenant; were arrested on charges of criminal possession of a controlled substance and weapons possession. Police said it appeared that the house was also used as an SRO (single room occupancy). According to the Department of Buildings website, there have been 9 complaints on the premises with 5 violations issued dating back to 2002 totaling $5,650. Only one of the violations was paid however. For several years the house was a topic of COP104 meetings with complaints of noise at all hours of the night, illegal construction and a host of other quality of life complaints.
Originally published in the December 2006 Juniper Berry Magazine
Penelope Avenue House of Horror Raided by Cops
84-35 Penelope Avenue
December 2006 Table of Contents
- JPCA & Juniper Juniors Participate in It's My Park Day
- Juniper Park Halloween Festival a Giant Hit!
- Meet our new 400-million-year old neighbor!
- How Low Can a Publisher Go?
- HOLIDAY SHOPPING: BE CAREFUL!
- Crisis of Confidence
- NYC Conspiracy of Overdevelopment
- Letters to the Editor December 2006
- New Absurd Times: 1.5 million dogs, give or take a million
- Where have you gone, Commissioner Richard Murphy?
- Winter Waters
- St. Saviour's Update
- Juniper Park's Upper Ball Fields are "for the birds" this winter
- Maspeth Bird Haven
- The Wild Parrots of New York City
- Holden, Franco, Bellas Honored
- JPCA's Gloria Simile Passes Away
- Penelope Avenue House of Horror Raided by Cops
The Juniper Berry magazine, first published in 1938 is an all-volunteer effort containing articles on crime prevention, neighborhood issues, meeting reports and notices, neighborhood history and photographs, guest articles, editorials and more.
View Latest Issue
Connect with the JPCA
Sign up for breaking news alerts by entering your email address below.