By law, a homeowner or realtor is allowed to post a for sale sign on residential property. Once the house is sold, it is illegal to post a sold sign as it then becomes nothing more than a commercial advertisement in a residential zone. A homeowner gains nothing by posting a sold sign on their property. Only realtors benefit from this practice. They all know that they are breaking the law, but they do it anyway. Don't risk a fine, tell the realtor to keep their sign. Advertisements for contractors who do work on your property are also prohibited by law.
Originally published in the December 2015 Juniper Berry Magazine
BERRY BITS: Sold it? Don't advertise it.
by Christina Wilkinson
Adding SOLD to for sale sign is illegal in NYC
December 2015 Table of Contents
- AMAZING STORIES: Saw Her Wraith In a Dream
- Heavenly View
- DID YOU KNOW?
- Memories of Christmas Past
- Middle Village: the Movie
- Monumental Men of WWI
- NYC Bicycle Lanes: No Yellow Brick Roads
- History of the 7 Line
- Great Homes
- KAMPERMANN'S KORNER: Future Transportation Possibilities for Queens
- Q&A with Familiar Faces: Brian Barnwell
- Dedication, Beauty, Empowerment: Starting on the Road to Achieving Everything You Want ‒ Part 1
- Killy's Korner
- Neighborhood Hall of Shame – COMMUNITY Eyesores
- Remembering Bishop Joseph M. Sullivan
- Illegal Massage Parlors Multiply in Our Communities
- Rest in peace, Tom Ognibene
- WHATS WRONG WITH MY HONEYDEW?
- BERRY BITS: Cooper & 80 turn signal, finally!
- BERRY BITS: 311 complaints plummet due to faulty app
- BERRY BITS: Drone Safety 101
- BERRY BITS: Sold it? Don't advertise it.
- BERRY BITS: Tree planted at JVP in memory of Anastasia
- Scrap the Bottle Bill for safety's sake
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: 1883 not long enough ago for Landmarks Commission
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Stop painting curbs, sidewalks & streets
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Careless construction crew causes chaos
- Calling "Cut!" on filming abuses
- BERRY BITS: Juniper Valley hawks continue to thrive
- BERRY BITS: Another off leash reminder
- BERRY BITS: Don't patronize fly-by-night merchants
- BERRY BITS: Flagged for removal
- BERRY BITS: Seeking to minimize LIE noise
- BERRY BITS: Glendale yeshiva finally hit with DOB violation
- Yesterday & Today
- AirBnB could destroy our middle class neighborhoods
- BERRY BITS: Tiles Unlimited accepting Toys for Tots donations
- New Judge Rules with City and $ on Shelter
- THE WIZARD OF ODD
- Our own worst enemy
- Milton Steinberg: Master Builder of Middle Village
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Keep all wheels off the sidewalk
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Plenty of money for bike lanes; none for car lanes
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: DSNY inspectors may need glasses.
- THINGS THAT ARE DUMB: Keep that vehicle tucked in
- 104th Precinct Report
The Juniper Berry magazine, first published in 1938 is an all-volunteer effort containing articles on crime prevention, neighborhood issues, meeting reports and notices, neighborhood history and photographs, guest articles, editorials and more.
View Latest Issue
Connect with the JPCA
Sign up for breaking news alerts by entering your email address below.