Metropolitan Avenue ‒ Terminal station of the BMT Myrtle Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. The station originally opened on October 1, 1906, to serve the adjacent Lutheran cemetery. It was part of an extension of the line past Wyckoff Avenue along a former steam dummy surface line. A second station opened on August 9, 1915, west of the original facility, while the other former surface stations were elevated. In 1940,
a number of florists were lined up next to the station and formed what was known as Florist Row. The sign for one of them, John Kalisch Florist, can be seen just above the back of the trolley. The shops here would service patrons visiting Lutheran Cemetery. At the far end of the block, Western Electric Company owned a large parcel of land. Their property had about 400 feet of frontage on the south side of Metropolitan Avenue and the land extended south to the Long Island Rail Road. Western Electric manufactured telephones but closed shop in Middle Village around 1965.
The florists then joined Western Electric in a real estate deal that sold their gigantic combined parcel of land to a developer for a mall called Robert Hall Village, which opened in 1974. The original tenants were: Robert Hall Clothes, Bohack Supermarket and Times Square Stores. Non-retail space was rented to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to store artwork and the Department of Corrections for their academy. When the original stores failed, the center was renamed Metro Mall, and new tenants moved in. Meanwhile, the trolley line has been replaced by the Q54 bus route.