FDNY HOLDS FIRST EVER CITYWIDE OPEN HOUSE TO CELEBRATE 150th ANNIVERSARY - JuniperCivic.com
Serving Middle Village and Maspeth since 1938.

Originally published in the June 2015 Juniper Berry Magazine

FDNY HOLDS FIRST EVER CITYWIDE OPEN HOUSE TO CELEBRATE 150th ANNIVERSARY

photography by Steve Garza, Lee Rottenberg and Christina Wilkinson

OnSaturday, May 2nd, the FDNY celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Department with its first-ever citywide open house program.More than 200 Firehouses and EMS Stations opened their doors to the public from11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Fire Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro attended Open House events at Engine Company 287/Ladder 136 in Elmhurst.

Throughout the day Firefighters, Paramedics and EMTs educated the public about fire and life safety, conducted demonstrations, discussed the Department's storied history, and offered tours of FDNY apparatus (engines, ladders and ambulances).

Thanks to generous support from the FDNY Foundation, members distributed more than 6,000 combination smoke/carbon monoxide alarms and information on careers available within the Department. They also gave away more than 100,000 items commemorating this historic year including fire safety coloring books, fire helmets for children, flashlights and magnets with messages promoting the 150th anniversary of the Department.

Volunteers from the American Red Cross were also on hand at all locations to schedule free smoke/carbon monoxide alarm installations.

Throughout the celebration, all FDNY units remained on call to respond to fires and medical emergencies.In 2014, FDNY had its busiest year ever, responding to more than 1.6 million incidents.

The origins of the Fire Department of New York date back to 1648, but it wasn't until May 2, 1865 that the modern-day FDNY was established with the creation of the Metropolitan Fire Department (MFD).The first professional unit, Engine Company 1, went into service later that year with horse-drawn engines and ladder trucks responding to fire calls.In 1870, the MFD was reorganized and the lettering on all apparatus was changed to FDNY.Over the next several decades, the FDNY expanded beyond Manhattan and Brooklyn into all five boroughs, replacing existing volunteer fire departments, building new firehouses and forming new fire companies to meet the fire protection needs of the growing population. In 1996, the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation's EMS Division merged with the FDNY, creating the largest Department-based EMS system in the country.Today, more than 16,000 FDNY members continue to carry out the life-saving mission of the Department which began 150 years ago.

Here we present photos from the following firehouses: Engine 319 on 67th Road in Middle Village, Squad 288/Haz Mat 1 on Perry Avenue in Maspeth, Engine 287/Ladder 136 on Grand Avenue in Elmhurst and Engine 291/Ladder 140 on Metropolitan Avenue on the border of Maspeth and Ridgewood.

June 2015 Juniper Berry Magazine

June 2015 Table of Contents