Immediately after the March 2015 Juniper Berry was published, Assembly Member Andrew Hevesi's chief-of-staff sent a link to JPCA in response to the Close the Door! opinion piece. The column called for our local state elected officials to start working on changing the state constitution to close the right-to-shelter loophole that allows people from out of state to come to NY to claim shelter and other benefits. The link Hevesi's staffer provided was to a 2010 article written by a homeless advocacy organization and contained outdated stats. It claimed that only 5% of shelter residents likely come from outside the city and that not all homeless applicants are accepted into shelter. However, this contradicts Hevesi's own statements at the December 2014 JPCA meeting where he claimed that NY, thanks to its constitution, cannot turn anyone away. As for the 5% statistic (which has been increasing year by year), even if it was that few, roughly 60,000 people are in the shelter system. This would make 3,000 people per year that taxpayers would not be forced to house if a residency requirement were put in place. That, in turn, would make the Cooper Avenue homeless shelter unnecessary. Of course, Andy was the only elected official to call the shelter a done deal before the fight even really got started, so his twisting in the wind at this point comes as no surprise. He also blocks commenters on his Facebook page when they have the audacity to question him about the homeless issue in response to posts he makes about what a great job he thinks he is doing to fix the problem.
Originally published in the June 2015 Juniper Berry Magazine
Things that are Dumb: Hevesi's strange response to homeless question
by Christina Wilkinson
Assemblyman Andrew Hevesi at Juniper Park Civic Assn. Town Meeting
June 2015 Table of Contents
- BERRY HEALTH: ASTHMA AND ALLERGY AT THE MOVIES
- Killy's Korner
- FDNY HOLDS FIRST EVER CITYWIDE OPEN HOUSE TO CELEBRATE 150th ANNIVERSARY
- Tony Vaccaro not slowing down
- Neighborhood Hall of Shame COMMUNITY Eyesores
- Living With Coyotes in New York City
- What proposed zoning changes mean for Maspeth & Middle Village...
- Ladybird, Ladybeetle, Ladybug
- Now That's Italian!
- Forest Park's lost WWI Memorial
- New Business Spotlight: DiLusso Deli
- OP-ED: Addiction and Deceit are Destroying Minorities... and the Country
- P.S. 128's build-ups and teardowns
- Middle Village: My Utopia
- Garrit Furman: Maspeth's poet
- BERRY BITS: Coyote captured in Middle Village
- Captain Mark Wachter, Commander of the 104th Pct.
- KAMPERMANN'S KORNER: Corruption is the Cancer of Democracy
- Letters to the Editor
- 20th century plans that were not to be
- DID YOU KNOW?
- The Finback Brewery: bringing beer-making back
- BERRY BITS: Have you seen this man? One bank bandit busted, another still out there
- Things that are Dumb: Pan Am Hotel overrun with vermin
- Things that are Dumb: Even the homeless don't want homeless shelters
- BERRY BITS: Bioswales to be installed along Maspeth & Middle Village streets
- Things that are Dumb: Proof of what has long been suspected
- BERRY BITS: Abbracciamento's project on hold
- Things that are Dumb: New Juniper Bocce courts are a disaster
- Things that are Dumb: ATV FOOL Busted in Juniper
- BERRY BITS: What you need to know about your C of O
- BERRY BITS: New liquor license procedure being considered by CB5
- The development of Middle Village in the 1920s
- Things that are Dumb: Parks throwing money down the drain
- Things that are Dumb: Council speaker proposes that taxpayers foot bail bills
- Things that are dumb: DEC being difficult about Ridgewood Reservoir designation
- Things that are Dumb: Ice Cream Truck Up to His Old Tricks
- Things that are Dumb: Throwing $440M at the homeless problem doesn't halt new shelters
- Things that are Dumb: Juniper Valley Park leads Queens in playground injuries
- Things that are Dumb: Trucks still stray into neighborhood, DOT Where Are you?
- Organics Recycling extended to the rest of Maspeth and Middle Village
- BERRY BITS: Maspeth High School tightening standards
- BERRY BITS: Rubbing them out
- BERRY BITS: Impact of Stephen Frosch's passing will be felt for a long time
- Things that are Dumb: The Crowley compromise
- Things that are Dumb: Newly resurfaced Juniper tennis courts full of cracks
- City authorizes film crew to stage explosion near homes
- Things that are Dumb: De Blasio loosens welfare requirements
- Things that are Dumb: Voting rights for non-citizens
- Things that are Dumb: FDNY hires firefighter that failed physical test
- Things that are Dumb: Hevesi's strange response to homeless question
- Things that are Dumb: Community boards purged of vocal shelter critics
- Things that are Dumb: Pan Am lacks kitchens... disgusting food is served instead
- BERRY BITS: More trees for western Maspeth
- Things that are Dumb: Who needs parking?
- Things that are Dumb: Banning free speech
- Things that are Dumb: Addabbo wants homeless vets at Cooper Avenue shelter
The Juniper Berry magazine, first published in 1938 is an all-volunteer effort containing articles on crime prevention, neighborhood issues, meeting reports and notices, neighborhood history and photographs, guest articles, editorials and more.
View Latest Issue
Connect with the JPCA
Sign up for breaking news alerts by entering your email address below.