The Department of City Planning, in its infinite wisdom, has determined that people in West Maspeth and parts of Middle Village should be solely reliant on public transportation. Therefore, it is proposing new zoning to promote low-income housing construction. The new rules would eliminate off-street parking requirements for homes within ½ mile of the Metropolitan Avenue M train station and in West Maspeth. The West Maspeth determination is particularly peculiar considering there is no subway station there at all and it is not only zoned for manufacturing but also an Industrial Business Zone that is supposed to be protected from residential encroachment. Perhaps the Department of City Planning failed to read their own stats which show that a large portion of residents work in Queens or Brooklyn and need cars for commuting. Of course, JPCA is fighting this tooth and nail. We can't say the same for our elected officials who thus far have been silent on this planned change.
Originally published in the June 2015 Juniper Berry Magazine
Things that are Dumb: Who needs parking?
by Christina Wilkinson
June 2015 Table of Contents
- BERRY HEALTH: ASTHMA AND ALLERGY AT THE MOVIES
- Killy's Korner
- FDNY HOLDS FIRST EVER CITYWIDE OPEN HOUSE TO CELEBRATE 150th ANNIVERSARY
- Tony Vaccaro not slowing down
- Neighborhood Hall of Shame COMMUNITY Eyesores
- Living With Coyotes in New York City
- What proposed zoning changes mean for Maspeth & Middle Village...
- Ladybird, Ladybeetle, Ladybug
- Now That's Italian!
- Forest Park's lost WWI Memorial
- New Business Spotlight: DiLusso Deli
- OP-ED: Addiction and Deceit are Destroying Minorities... and the Country
- P.S. 128's build-ups and teardowns
- Middle Village: My Utopia
- Garrit Furman: Maspeth's poet
- BERRY BITS: Coyote captured in Middle Village
- Captain Mark Wachter, Commander of the 104th Pct.
- KAMPERMANN'S KORNER: Corruption is the Cancer of Democracy
- Letters to the Editor
- 20th century plans that were not to be
- DID YOU KNOW?
- The Finback Brewery: bringing beer-making back
- BERRY BITS: Have you seen this man? One bank bandit busted, another still out there
- Things that are Dumb: Pan Am Hotel overrun with vermin
- Things that are Dumb: Even the homeless don't want homeless shelters
- BERRY BITS: Bioswales to be installed along Maspeth & Middle Village streets
- Things that are Dumb: Proof of what has long been suspected
- BERRY BITS: Abbracciamento's project on hold
- Things that are Dumb: New Juniper Bocce courts are a disaster
- Things that are Dumb: ATV FOOL Busted in Juniper
- BERRY BITS: What you need to know about your C of O
- BERRY BITS: New liquor license procedure being considered by CB5
- The development of Middle Village in the 1920s
- Things that are Dumb: Parks throwing money down the drain
- Things that are Dumb: Council speaker proposes that taxpayers foot bail bills
- Things that are dumb: DEC being difficult about Ridgewood Reservoir designation
- Things that are Dumb: Ice Cream Truck Up to His Old Tricks
- Things that are Dumb: Throwing $440M at the homeless problem doesn't halt new shelters
- Things that are Dumb: Juniper Valley Park leads Queens in playground injuries
- Things that are Dumb: Trucks still stray into neighborhood, DOT Where Are you?
- Organics Recycling extended to the rest of Maspeth and Middle Village
- BERRY BITS: Maspeth High School tightening standards
- BERRY BITS: Rubbing them out
- BERRY BITS: Impact of Stephen Frosch's passing will be felt for a long time
- Things that are Dumb: The Crowley compromise
- Things that are Dumb: Newly resurfaced Juniper tennis courts full of cracks
- City authorizes film crew to stage explosion near homes
- Things that are Dumb: De Blasio loosens welfare requirements
- Things that are Dumb: Voting rights for non-citizens
- Things that are Dumb: FDNY hires firefighter that failed physical test
- Things that are Dumb: Hevesi's strange response to homeless question
- Things that are Dumb: Community boards purged of vocal shelter critics
- Things that are Dumb: Pan Am lacks kitchens... disgusting food is served instead
- BERRY BITS: More trees for western Maspeth
- Things that are Dumb: Who needs parking?
- Things that are Dumb: Banning free speech
- Things that are Dumb: Addabbo wants homeless vets at Cooper Avenue shelter
The Juniper Berry magazine, first published in 1938 is an all-volunteer effort containing articles on crime prevention, neighborhood issues, meeting reports and notices, neighborhood history and photographs, guest articles, editorials and more.
View Latest Issue
Connect with the JPCA
Sign up for breaking news alerts by entering your email address below.