You most likely have noticed the deluge of metal collection boxes along our streets in recent weeks. These clothing/shoe donation bins are illegal if placed along public sidewalks and none of them are for legitimate charities. They frequently attract graffiti and dumping and are themselves eyesores. Here's what you can do to help make them go away. Report them via 311 or this link: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/contact/request_collectionbinremoval.shtml. Sanitation will tag the box ‒ usually within 48 hours ‒ for removal and notify the owner. After 30 days, the bin is removed by the City if the owner does not comply. And please do not put items in them. There are plenty of legitimate charities that will take your unwanted gently used clothing, including local nursing homes. And from them you will get a tax deduction that you will not get from depositing your items in the bins.
Originally published in the September 2014 Juniper Berry Magazine
ILLEGAL COLLECTION BINS
by Christina Wilkinson
September 2014 Table of Contents
- Tony Vaccaro
- Still in good hands
- The Battle of Brooklyn
- REMINDER: ALL FLYERS ARE ILLEGAL
- Why Homele$$ne$$ is Big Business
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
- A Wheel(chair) Runaround
- SMILE! YOU'RE ON A SPEED CAMERA!
- Parking on Sidewalks & Walkways: Dumb & Dumber
- FOR COLIN FLOOD
- THEY KEEP ON TRUCKIN' ON GRAND AVE
- Annoying Verizon illegally sets up shop in residential zone
- SPEED BUMPS AT LONG LAST
- BIKE RACKS COMING TO LOCAL PO's
- Yes we have no papers, only trash
- ABBRACCIAMENTO'S TO BE DEMOLISHED THIS FALL
- OUT OF LUCK AFTER DARK
- ILLEGAL COLLECTION BINS
- A Fence Too High
- Add Sold, Ad for Realtor, Add Hefty $ Violation
- DOE FUND COMES BACK TO GRAND AVENUE
- CRACKDOWN ON SERVICE ROAD TRUCK PARKING
- SCOOP THAT POOP!
- RATS WON'T LEAVE
The Juniper Berry magazine, first published in 1938 is an all-volunteer effort containing articles on crime prevention, neighborhood issues, meeting reports and notices, neighborhood history and photographs, guest articles, editorials and more.
View Latest Issue
Connect with the JPCA
Sign up for breaking news alerts by entering your email address below.